Imagine. Reveal Character. Plot Action. Write.
The Short Version: In my opinion, if you want to be a writer, you need four things:
- A good imagination.
- Compelling characters.
- Great plot.
- Discipline to sit and write.
The Long Version:
- Read. Read. Read.
- Have a great idea? Research, plot and develop your characters. Check out the Research & Writing Eye Candy: my online newspaper (I’ve pulled together a feast for your eyes… Start your research here. You’ll find great sources of information about technology, politics, history, business, science, education, health & fitness, psychology, style & fashion, odd tidbits of information, and of course, writing.)
- Sit down, find your voice, and treat your writing seriously.
- Reveal character and add emotion.
- Plot action.
- Finish your first draft.
- Write with your heart and soul; edit with the stealth of a ninja.
- Dare to bare and join a critique group.
- Join SCBWI, if you haven’t already.
- Learn from published authors.
- Look Fear in the Eye
- Research literary agents and publishers.
- Pay attention to feedback.
- Be resilient and persistent.
- You can do this!